CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Yummy French Bread!

French Bread

2 1/2 c. very warm water
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
6 cups flour,
2 Tablespoons dry yeast

Into a large mixing bowl, pour warm water, then stir in sugar, salt, oil, half the flour, and yeast. Beat vigorously 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour until all dry ingredients are completely mixed in, leaving spoon right in heavy batter. (I use a wooden spoon)

Allow dough to rest 10 minutes, then stir down. Allow dough to rest another 10 minutes, then stir down. Repeat this process until dough has been stirred down five times. (50 minutes)

Turn dough onto floured board, knead only enough to coat dough with flour so it can be handled. Divide into two parts. Roll each part of dough into rectangle about 9 inches x 12 inches and roll up like a jelly roll rolling from long side. Pinch edge of loaf to seal the dough. If desired arrange corn meal allowing room for both loaves. (I usually just spray a pan) Cover lightly and let rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.

With very sharp knife, cut three gashes at an angle on top then brush entire surface with slightly beaten whole egg. ( I never do the egg or seeds) If desired, sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.

Bake immediately at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until brown. Remove from baking sheets immediately & cool on racks. Makes two loaves. I always put spray butter on top.

Years ago I bought a book from the LDS Church Distribution Center called 'Creative Homemaking For Happy Living'. It was published in 1984. I found this recipe and truly it is the only thing I have ever used out of the whole book. But I am glad I have this recipe because it is so delicious!

3 comments:

Cecily said...

I love your french bread!

deserae said...

Yummy! Now I can look up the recipe whenever I want to make it!

Linda's Latest said...

Hey, I just found this part of your blog. Mmmmm, I love french bread. I'm going to try this recipe.